Happy texying


As I do not really like default Beamer themes,(a) I tend to rely on Context to build my slides. I've built a set of custom themes for use with Hans Hagen's pre styles as well as Thomas Schmitz and Aditya Mahajan's simpleslides. The latter caused me problem when I tried to recompile older slides.

The simpleslides "third-party" module has been updated recently (January, 2012) but I didn't notice that until I got the following error message

! Undefined control sequence. l.223 \definenamespace

when trying to rebuild a series of lectures for an upcoming course and a short talk. I then found this thread which basically says there might have been a problem well before simpleslides was updated on CTAN; but I haven't noticed that problem anyway. I don't really know what the problem is with the current version of simpleslides. What I know is that I don't have time to update all my themes and go deep inside MkIV arcane. So I was looking for a quick way to get my earlier versions work as they did in December.

Here is my very hacky solution to solve this annoying problem: Fetch previous versions of simpleslides-s-default.tex and t-simpleslides.tex from TexLive svn, and put this your texmf local directory. In my case, on OS X 10.7.3, it happens to be


As I'm using Metapost to create colored backgrounds and the like, I also have to remember to enable system commands in TeX's texmf.cnf (/usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf) so that around line 499 I have

shell_escape = t

I know there are better ways to enable system commands, but I always forget about them (like for openin_any/openout_any).

It looks like simpleslides may be replaced by a new MkIV module, complexslides. I've tested it and it works quite well with the dev version of ConText, although I got some strange errors due to the visualcounter module which was apparently missing from my system (I installed it once, so I don't know why I wasn't able to find it again). Grab the latest version from Github, and put it where ConText can find it. My experimental version of Context sits in ~/context, so for me it is


then just update TeX's database:

$ mktexlsr
$ context --generate

Well, everything works now, but I am waiting for some more themes.


(a) In fact, I created my own theme, which is largely inspired from Ross Ihaka's Beamer slides, which can be found by looking at, e.g. Topic in Computational Data Analysis and Graphics.


Articles with the same tag(s):

From Beamer to Deckset
Weaving Stata documents
Easier literate programming with R
Weaving scientific document
Asymptote and Metapost
Syntax highlighting in LaTeX
Switching to biblatex
Upgrading CONTEXT